Sunday, June 20News That Matters

What To Know Before Making The Switch To LED Lighting

It certainly isn’t news that LEDs are far better for the environment when compared to their incandescent ancestors. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean you have successfully been persuaded to make the switch around your home.If you’re tottering and wondering about the differences between LED and incandescent lighting technology, and what the benefits really are, here is the ultimate guide to what to know before making the switch to LED lighting.

The Switch is as Easy as It Sounds

Let’s get right to the point; it is ridiculously easy to make the switch and reap the benefits of LED lighting. Seriously, all that needs to happen is that you (or someone in your household) chooses to substitute all your current incandescent screw-in light bulbs for screw-in LED bulbs. Voila!The only stipulation is that you (or that previously mentioned kind person) must ensure that the LED bulbs you are replacing your incandescent bulbs with are the correct match and, therefore, will fit and equal the performance of the former bulbs. This won’t be difficult to accomplish when you get assistance from a reputable lighting supplier in your area.

The LED Switch is a Wise Investment

One of the primary concerns about LED bulbs is that they are more expensive than incandescent bulbs. This, of course, steers people away from making the switch. However, as the science is developing and the technology of LED is becoming more familiar, the prices are also quickly dropping.Instead of merely looking at the initial price, regard LEDs as a long-term investment. There is no denying that the upfront price may be higher, but the payback time more than makes up for it.As an example, if you spend $15 on a 60-watt equivalent LED bulb, the payback will be complete within a couple of years. This is because LEDs significantly outlive incandescent bulbs as they undergo more of a decline than a sudden burnout. In fact, many LEDs can last up to two decades of average use before they even start to dim.Not only will you save money (again, in the long run) by purchasing LEDs, you are also helping conserve our planet’s energy resources and reducing waste!Swapping only one regular light bulb to LED can reduce the amount of energy consumption by 70 to 90 percent. LED lighting transforms 95 percent of energy dissipated into light, unlike incandescent bulbs which (rather unfortunately) convert only 10 percent of the power into light with the rest of the energy (90 percent) wasted as heat.While this won’t stop global warming, it will aid you in doing your part, and save you somewhere between $30 and $80 on your utilities over the course of the lifespan of each LED light bulb.

LEDs Are Flexible

For a more design-centered benefit, it is important to note that LEDs are far more flexible when it comes to where the light beams. While incandescent bulbs thrust out their light in all directions and angles, LED lighting, on the other hand, offers multi-directional functionality – which enables you to focus the light where the room needs it the most.

Additionally, LEDs are offered in a range of light colors and temperatures. Different to incandescent bulbs, LED bulbs are ranked on a correlated color temperature, which corresponds to a Kelvin (K) temperature scale. For a cooler and bluer light, look for a higher Kelvin number. Alternatively, for a warmer and more yellow light, you want a bulb with a lower Kelvin number.Determining which light color to put in what room is an individual decision. But, to get you going, if you want a general ambient light, go for a light color that’s “natural white” or “cool white.” These colors also work well in kitchens. Bluer more natural light or “daylight” bulbs would be best suited for your bedside reading lamp.Surely, you are already convinced at this point. So before you sprint to the store to purchase LEDs, understand that not all LED bulbs are created equal. Like all innovative technology, LEDs are evolving swiftly. Get expert help from the trusted LED lighting company in Dubai or in your area to discover which ones are right for your home.


Ajay Awtaney is co-founder of  Nakashi General Trading LLC, an electrical lighting company in Dubai catering to the needs of clients and projects requiring quality lighting products and solutions. Nakashi General Trading LLC today is an approved vendor of reputable organisations (Jumeirah, Engineering Office, Meraas, Musanadah and Thumbay, to name a few) for supplying lighting products.